Vidarbha JanAndolan Samiti
Ref: VJAS/LS-PIL/WP-57/ 2009
Hon’ble Shri Somnath Chatterjee,
Hon’ble Speaker of 14th Lok Sabha,
Parliament House, New Delhi.
Sub : Request for early decision in the matter of disqualification petition filed by BJP Parliamentary party against ‘vote for cash’ M.P. Haribhau Rathod and to keep ethical standard of Parliamentary Democracy
Ref : Disqualification Petition pending against Lok Sabha M.P. Haribhau Rathod.
I am President of Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti (VJAS), a movement of citizens working for the cause of poors who believe in parliamentary democracy and humbly beg to submit as under that :
1. Mr. Haribhau Nasru Rathod is the elected Member of 14th Lok Sabha from Yavatmal Parliamentary constitutency of Maharashtra State. He was elected as an official candidate of BJP in the General Election to Lok Sabha – 2004.
2. It is alleged that Mr. Haribhau Nasru Rathod, 14th Lok Sabha MP has acted against the whip of the BJP Parliamentary party. Accordingly, a petition has been filed by BJP for disqualification of said MP on the grounds contended in the said petition pending before Your Honour.
3. It has been alleged by the BJP parliamentary party that the said expelled BJP M.P. Haribhau Rathod who had last year defied his party whip and abstained from voting on the confidence motion in the Lok Sabha and disqualification petition alleging his intentional abstain as ‘vote for cash’ and likely to face disqualification as reasons given by Haribhau Rathod that he said "I came back from Parliament yesterday at around one pm to take my diabetes injection. Suddenly, on the way my sugar level dropped because of which I became drowsy and was rushed to Kukreja Hospital in Rajouri Garden (about 15 km from Parliament). I was in the ICU and was finally discharged at around nine in the evening. My phones were switched off and no one was allowed in the ICU. I was under tension since I had not made up my mind about the vote. It is nice that the government has won and I would have also voted for the government only,"
4. As Mr. Rathod has now joined Indian National Congress and seeking party ticket of INC, we in letter to Smt. Sonia Gandhi requested her on the ground of high morality and in order to keep high standards ethical balance in Indian parliament system intact ,she should not promote the practices adopted by the Great Betrayers- Aya aur Gaya type M.P. Haribhau Rathod as even if congress culture allows such type of corrupt elements to exists with reorganisation but society at large will reject them at last in the election hence congress should refrain from such unholy act .
5. Hon’ble sir, we would like to draw your kind attention that Rathod's defection was a shocker to the common voters and the citizens atlarge who have faith & belief in the democracy and also for BJP party. Mr. Rathod may be seeking reelection from Yavatmal parliamentary constitutency once again as candidate of Indian National Congress which he has joined recently.
This AayaRam-GayaRam tendency of the political leader is the blot on the parliamentary democracy and to teach lesson to such defectors, the parliament has enacted the statutory provisions of which Your Honour is the custodian and presiding authority.
6. In light of the development taking place, in order to protect the high moral standard of parliamentary democracy, it is the need of hour to give punishment to such persons who have violated the law of Anti Defection and brought disrespect to the parliamentary democracy. Hence the petition filed by BJP Parliamentary party seeking the disqualification and other penal action against Mr. Haribhau Rathod has to be decided immediately because the Anti Defection Law also mandates disqualification from contesting election for 6 years, in the event if it is found that Mr. Haribhau Rathod is guilty of violation of the provisions of the law governing such defection as a Member of Lok Sabha.
In view of above, we as the soldier - custodian of parliamentary democracy and high moral standards coupled therewith, humbly pray for early decision in the matter of disqualification petition pending against Mr. Haribhau Rathod, since its outcome will have direct bearing upon his nomination as a candidate of forthcoming Lok Sabha election.
In such circumstances it is demand of every citizen of India that the pending disqualification petitions against the Members of Parliament - Lok Sabha like Mr. Haribhau Rathod may please be expedited & decided immediately in the interest of justice, equity and fair play to uphold the high standard of parliamentary democracy in which every citizen has faith & belief.
We hope, for the reason explained here in above, Your Honour will arrange to deliver the most expected judgement in the case of Mr. Haribhau Rathod pending before Your Honour, so that the faith & belief of common man in the parliamentary democracy can be strengthen by your valuable decision / judgement.
For VIDARBHA JANANDOLAN SAMITI